Monday, November 16, 2009

Photo shoot

I find myself getting frustrated when it comes to taking photos of my products. The lighting is never right, its either too bright or too dark. Some paper roses don't photograph well, either because of the pattern or because of the color. I have a super duper nice camera (Canon Rebel XS) so I don't think that's the problem.

It must just be me and my lack of skills. I'm not really used to taking photos of an object and worrying about lighting or whether the product looks good. I'm more of a "artsy" photographer I suppose, and don't usually do anything to change the lighting or effects in the image. The photo is what it is.

I tried my best to capture the item in its best light, but after a couple of hours shooting hundreds of images I was starting to give up. I tried shooting near a bright open window for once, rather than in my studio with a couple bright lights. Though I think I'm liking the way the studio shots turned out rather than the natural daylight ones. The ones shot with lamps have a much warmer feel to them, and I think the colors turn out better and closer to the real thing. Though, I was near a very bright window with the sun setting so maybe it was too much light. I guess it'll just take some experimentation.


Shot with natural light


Shot with studio light

No comments: