Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pricing

Whenever you're put in the position of pricing your products, it can be really hard to decide what is fair and profitable at the same time. There are many things to consider including the cost of creating your item, the time it took to make it, and how much profit you'd like to make from selling it.

Any seller on Etsy would probably love to make loads and loads of money off their products, but it's crucial to sell at a good price that people will actually pay for. Sell your products for too much and no one will buy them, but sell them for too little and you won't make much profit.

Considering things on Etsy are handmade, I think most buyers are a bit more forgiving when it comes to pricing. The things people sell on Etsy are not mass-produced, including my own paper roses. While photography prints are a different story, handmade gifts take a lot of time and effort to create. It takes me about 20 minutes to make one rose, or three every hour. I have to consider the amount of time it takes me to make them when setting a price.

Every once in a while I'll look over the prices for my products or even my shipping and make adjustments if I think it needs it. Updating your shop is important, especially if people aren't biting. While this may or may not be related to your pricing, it never hurts to give it a look.

No comments: